When you are surfing the internet, there may be a virus attack on your computer or applications will try to gain access when they should not, to avoid that you should keep your firewall on. The firewall of your computer protects your computer from attacks via the internet. But sometime you will want to allow restricted traffic to get through your firewall and to do so you will need to open port. When you connect a device with another one on a network it establishes a port number which helps the receiving data to understand how to manage the traffic. To run a game server or anything like that you will need to open the port to allow a certain type of traffics. If you have no idea about how you can open the port then keep reading we are going to tell you about that.
How to open a port in windows
- To open the port you will have to go to the firewall of your device. Open the control panel to find the firewall or you can just click start and type firewall and then the firewall setting will appear.
- After entering into the firewall setting find the advance setting and then select it.
- By doing so a new window will be open where you will have to click on the “Inbound Rules” option on the upper left side on your screen. After that, you will have to select “New Rules” on the right side of your screen.
- In case you want to open the port for outgoing traffic then you will have to click on “Outbound Rule” instead of “Inbound Rule”. Most of the time when you install applications they create their own outbound rules but sometime you may need to open it for some applications that can not create their outbound.
- When you click on “New Rule” another window will be open. Click on the port option and then click on the Next button.
- On the next screen, there will be two protocols TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) and UDP (User Datagram Protocol). You will have to select one protocol according to your application. You will have to find which protocol your application is using. In case you can’t find the protocol you can create two inbound rules for your application, one for TCP and one for UDP.
- Now select the “Specific Local Ports” and then type the port number that you want to open. You can open multiple ports by writing different port numbers and separating them with commas. In case you want to open a range of ports, you will need to use a hyphen (-). After writing port click on the Next button.
- On the next page, you will have to select “Allow the Connection” and then click “Next”.
- If you know the connection you are using is secure then you will have to select “Allow the Connection”. In case you are not sure about your connection then you should select “Allow the connection if it is secure” to authenticate the connection. Sometimes the application does not support “Allow the connection if it is secure” option, so you can try it, but if it doesn’t work, then you can change back to “Allow the Connection” option. After selecting the option click on next.
- Then select domain, private, public and then click on the Next button.
- Now there will be another window on which you will have to enter the name of your new rule and description which is optional and then click on the finish button.
- In case you want to disable your new rule find your new rule in the list of inbound rules or outbound rules and then right-click on it and then click “Disable Rule”.
How to open router Firewall ports
- To open your router’s firewall you will need to open your router’s configuration page, and to open configuration page you will have to find the IP address of your router.
- After finding the IP address open your favourite browser and enter the IP address of the browser.
- Then enter the username and password to login into the configuration page.
- After logging in find the Port Forwarding/Applications/Gaming/Virtual Servers/Firewall/Protected Setup/ Advance Setting (any of these) section and enter into it.
- Every router has a different process of doing this but requires the same information to do so. You will need to enter some information like:
Name or Description- You will need to enter the name of your application.
Type or Service Type- You will need to select a type of service like TCP, UDP or you can select both if you are not sure about your application’s port.
Inbound or Start- Now type the port number. If you want to open a range of ports then enter the lowest number in the range.
Private or End- Here you will need to enter the port number again. In case you are opening the range of port then enter the highest number in the range.
- Now you will need to enter the private IP address of your computer and save your setting or click on the apply button.
- You may also need to check “Enabled” or “On” box next to the forwarded port row.