Your router is like a gate that protects hackers from all of your WiFi devices. However, if you do not keep the firmware of your router up to date, the router does not block new attacks. Most of the time people don’t give much thought to updating their router as long as their router keeps them connected. You should make a habit of always keeping your router up to date so that your router can block the attacks from hackers.
Updating the firmware of your router will help to improve connectivity and to keep your router secure. To keep your network secure and functional, it is always recommended to install the latest updates available. Here’s how to upgrade your router to boost all your devices’ efficiency and improve your protection at home.
Follow these instructions if you would like to update your router’s firmware with a web browser:
- To update your router’s firmware, Connect your computer to your router with an Ethernet cable or in case you have a wireless router then you should turn on the WiFi of your computer and search your router name and then connect your computer with your router.
- Then open a web browser and write the default IP address of the router in the address bar of the browser. If you do not know the IP address of your router, then there is a label on the back of the router where you can see the IP address of the router. You can also look into the manual of your router to find credentials of your router.
- The login window of the router will show as soon as the IP address enters after writing into the browser. While entering the IP address into the browser ensure that you are entering the IP address correctly.
- Now you will have to type the router’s admin username and password into their boxes. Here also you will need to ensure that you have not written the wrong spelling of the credentials.
- In case you don’t know the username and password of your router then you should use the default credentials. If you have changed your default credentials into something else then you will have to enter that credentials and login into the admin panel.
- Now you have to select Advanced option and then Administration or Settings and after that Administration option.
- Now you will find the firmware update or router update option which you will need to select and then click on the check.
- Then you will have to search for a new firmware update.
- If a new firmware update is available, then you will need to click Yes to update your router’s firmware.
Note: After clicking yes you should not try to go online, you should shut down the router, or leave your router like that for a few seconds.
After completing the updating process your router will restart automatically. The firmware update process may take a few minutes so you should not worry about the time it takes to complete the process.